Monday, September 1, 2008

Caramel Apples Are Back

Whew! I am committing to my blog! I am so excited to have fall here and caramel apples! We are starting with the cool crisp Jonney Grimes apples that will be double-dipped in our buttery, smooth caramel.

Many of the Lillie Mae Chocolate followers who love our caramel apples have no idea how we make them! Well I will tell you. We start with a batch of our homemade, old-fashioned caramel. We cook it in a copper kettle using fresh cream, butter, and pure cane sugar. I can't give you the whole recipe (I would be out of a job!:) but trust me it is full of goodness. The apples are delivered daily to our shop from both the Heingarder and Appleberry orchards. We use Johnathan's the majority of the season for the tart crisp apple - it blends great with our soft caramel. We clean and shine the apples one at a time. I love the way a bushel of apples looks after being shined - it screams fall to me! We then stick an apple stick in the apple and wait for the temperature of the caramel to get to the right spot. We remove the kettle from the open flame and stir it so that it cools to the right temperature. We then dip the apples twice to make sure there is a very thick caramel on each apple.

There you have it - our world famous double-dipped caramel apple! Aimee

No comments: